Monday, January 4, 2010

The Best Free Map of Algonquin Provincial Park Interrior

Bookmark and Share
Estimated Drive time from Toronto: 3.5 hours
Map:

View Algonquin Provincial Park. Drive through in a larger map

Description:
I have never been to Algonquin interior, but while gliding on the Opeongo lake waters and seeing the camp sites on the shore of the lake, I thought that it should be fun to go on a few days trip into the interior. It's not as if the trails do not give you enough excitement, they do and they are beautiful, but the imagination carries me on into the wild interior. I got a map from the cabin where I rented the canoe at Opeongo lake. I thought that it was a good map and it probably was. Later on I was trying to write a blog on camping in Algonquin and I thought that there should be a better map somewhere than the one that I create using google maps. To tell you the truth the google map is amazing around high density cities, but it lacks around parks (As if you did not not :- ) ). So while searching the web I stumbled upon Free Algonquin Provincial Park Map.

What is so great about the map? Well, it is maintained by a person who is interested in making the best map of the Algonquin Provincial Park. He has worked 2 years before making it available to the public and then he keeps adding features or making small corrections. I may no be the best person to judge the quality of the map, but looking at the one I got from the Opeoongo lake (it's almost torn apart and I haven;t used it too much), and the one provided at Free Algonquin Provincial Park Map one can easily spot that this one contains a lot of extra information. You do not need 10 different maps to find the trails, what are the canoe routes or what type of fish you can catch in various lakes. You get it all in one map and much more: you get the most accurate information that is composed of a few sources.

The downside: You have to learn the legend. It has so much information that you may find it overwhelming. Reading on the web site, I noticed that the map is available for download. As I understood, the map is in several layers, so one can easily turn off one layer that contains information that he does not intend to use and print out only a section of the map that he plans to visit.

Official website:
Free Algonquin Provincial Park Map

You may need Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black) when you go hiking. It is currently priced at 644$ at Amazon.com.

Related Posts
Review: Algonquin Provincial Park. Drive Through

Any comments, suggestions or questions, add in the comments area.

No comments:

Post a Comment